Friday, June 20, 2008

The sadness of summer

While many people in surrounding Chicago Suburban communities are looking forward to the sights, smells and sounds of summer I am a little reluctant to see the summer begin. The calendar hasn't officially marked the beginning of summer and there are already 3 teenage victims of violence in our city. I'm sick and saddened by it. I want so badly to experience the warm weather and holiday gatherings that all make summer memorable. However, in some of our neighborhoods and streets warm weather and holiday gatherings will mean disaster. Gatherings of young people during the summer always brought smiles to my face as I remembered days gone by. Now, every gathering of young people I pass brings a prayer to my lips for safety and salvation. I wish the problem plaguing our communities had a simple solution. I realize it will take a joint effort of parents, church, community organizations, business, politicians and police to even begin tackling the problem.
Violence has become as common to our children as hopscotch and double dutch was for me thirty years ago. This certainly isn't the world I wanted to introduce to my two girls. Since my husband and I made a conscience decision to bring them into this world we are committed to doing our part to make it better. Will you do your part?

No comments: