Wednesday, June 10, 2009

There is a word from the Lord!

I can't believe I haven't updated in months. It's amazing how time flies especially when you're working hard. Autumn is walking...moving like a drunken sailor but walking nevertheless. Summer is budding into a little independent girl! I am finding my rhythm and starting to dream again about my own future and not just the future of the girls. I am ever awestruck by God's amazing provision and grace. Yesterday while during a conference with one of the participants in our men's center I realized how difficult life is for many, particularly those living without Christ. This wasn't a new discovery but a confirmation of an old truth. A few other staff members called me into a meeting as sort of an intervention. This handsome, well spoken brother was in the battle of his life with addiction but hadn't decided to fight. As I listened to him retell the events that led to our meeting my heart was broken by what he described. His attempt to dabble in language semantics and to skirt around the real issues indicated how desperate he was to escape his current situation. He is over 35, homeless and unemployed. If being a black man in America isn't hard enough! I'm not making excuses for his drug use or belligerent behavior I'm just acknowledging that I understand how he ended up on this road. After expressing our support and love for him I could see a tiny spark of hope in his eyes. I prayed that spark would be enough to get him moving into the direction of recovery. In that moment I could hardly breathe, I felt the weight of addiction, unemployment and poverty crushing my lungs and spirit. For just a nanosecond I felt overwhelmed by hopelessness and despondent over the growing needs in my community. When that second was over the Spirit of God reminded me that... We are troubled on every side, yet not distressed; we are perplexed, but not in despair. Ahhhh... What a word of comfort!

No comments: