Saturday, February 21, 2009

A ram in the bush

And Abraham lifted up his eyes, and looked, and behold behind him a ram caught in a thicket by his horns: and Abraham went and took the ram, and offered him up for a burnt offering in the stead of his son.
Genesis 22:13

For the last week I have been wrestling within myself and diligently seeking God in regards to the area of obedience He is calling me to in this particular space and place in my life. Last week after I returned from Breakthrough's "Breakaway Weekend" I felt even more restless about this notion that has been brewing in my soul. During the series of bible studies facilitated during the weekend there was one session that became haunting. As this pastor took us through familiar passages I felt God doing something new and fresh in my spirit. As we walked through the main events unfolding in 1 Samuel 17, lifting up new incites I was challenged to view the giants in my own life differently. More importantly my response to those giants were challenged.

As women we are often masters of multitasking so we consider it not strange when we are accosted by several giants at once. This season in my life has more than a few giants that need slaying. In fact, I've checked my purse and seem to be missing a few stones already. So, I praise God for the victories we have already won. I have to be honest the giants I'm currently facing seem more appropriate for weapons of mass destruction than single rocks. I have decided to take my eyes off the giants because if I'm honest with myself there really isn't anything else I need to know about them. To continue to keep my focus there could allow me to become totally overwhelmed with their size and complexity. Sisters, you're familiar with the natural tendencies.....no matter how many times you view the account balance next to the bills in your hand it won't change. In fact the bills seem to multiply (lol). Instead I am focusing on what God is speaking during this time. Often there is so much noise around me that I can't say I'm always clear about what God is requiring me to do. Abraham knew that God was calling him to sacrifice his son Isaac. But what act of obedience is God requiring from you and I. What test of faithfulness and obedience am I called to pass before God reveals the ram in the thicket? I can only imagine what Abraham felt as he made his way up the mountain with Isaac probably asking a million questions about the sacrifice. The turmoil he must have felt as he raised his knife but oh the relief he experienced when he heard his name called from the heavens.

David developed a history of victories won with God before Goliath fell to his face in defeat. He knew what is was like to have the victory over situations larger than himself. As a shepherd he was responsible for defending the helpless who lived in a constant state of vulnerability. But David courageously fulfilled his responsibilities. Not because of his power but because of his connection with God. David learned about the power and sovereignty of God at a young age. Therefore he was able to stand before his giants in that power not his own.

As God reveals to all of us the areas He needs obedience from us I hope we'll be able to take inventory of the ways He has delivered in the past and draw strength from that. We'll hear his voice, respond in obedience and see in the thicket the ram He has already provided.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh how I needed to read this...I'm reminded daily of just how FAITHFUL God is...even when I'm not. An inventory is definately in order. Thanks for the word, it was definately WELL RECEIVED-LoVE Ya!!

Anonymous said...

This was great! Thanks

LovesChild said...

Yes... 2 years late, but I was so blessed by this today! I hope you're still writing... hopefully you have books published "write now"... :-) You're a blessing.